Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Kids, My Life

**SPOILER ALERT** Some of the things expressed in this post might seem a little political. I apologize in advance. I don't mean to offend anyone.


These are the two faces I wake up to every morning. I am the luckiest person in the world! No matter how disheveled I look, how unorganized I am, or how much laundry is on my floor, they both continue to love me! Isaac is completely enamored with me... I see it in his eyes, his smile and the way he grabs my face to pull it closer to his. I know that for now, I am his life and his greatest champion. Lauren is my biggest admirer. She is constantly picking up on things that I say. Including the not so good things I say... We watch politics, do puzzles, and entertain Isaac together. She is my biggest helper and one of my best friends. The days when I am the most frustrated, they are the most forgiving.

Each day we are together, I am blessed to watch them grow in personality and love for each other. Lauren lights up Isaacs world the moment she steps into his sight. Isaac will watch her on the edge of his seat, just to see what she will do next. He is quick to reward her with a smile and a giggle. Lauren is ever mindful of Isaac. Constantly asking me where he is while he is napping. One of my favorite and cherished things to watch is Lauren teaching Isaac something that I have taught her. There is an assurance that life is good and families are meant to be eternal when I watch my two babies interact. What comfort I take from my children while the world continues to tear families apart.

I am feeling especially grateful for my kids lately. On a daily basis I hear about the "war on women" and their health. Some of the things I have read have led me to believe that women are turning their backs on children and family. I think that the greatest and most powerful aspect of being a women, is the opportunity to bear and raise children. It is truly heartbreaking that the trend of the day is for women to surrender that power and uniqueness in the name of health and equality. Especially when there are very deserving women everywhere, who with all their hearts desire a child, and cannot have one. I believe that the war on women is waged every time a commitment to marriage is decided against, a career over a family is chosen, or the choice to bear children is denied. It seems to me that women are just as much engaged in warring against their divinity as any man or political party.

My kids are my life. I chose them. They are a reflection of me. I see how their lives have shaped my own. I am a stronger, braver person because of them. I have a deeper understanding of love and empathy, of service and sacrifice. The day I became a mom I became a student of happiness and hardships on a whole new level. One opposing the other, they work in harmony, and with hope, someday I might be a scholar. There is no school or university on the face of this earth that can teach me the things my children teach me.

I hope that all women will stop the war on womanhood and embrace the very thing that sets them apart from men. That they will no longer be ashamed of it, or stifle it. That they will have the courage and vision to chose marriage and family. To bear children and allow motherhood to shape their lives into something more amazing then any career ever could. When women everywhere acknowledge their power and purpose as molders of the future, that is the day we change the world.

I truly admire those women who have to do it alone. I cannot imagine my family without my husband. He is my strength. We constantly lean on each other as we strive to be loving responsible stewards of our two beautiful children. I am thankful for the choice I made to have a family. Being a mom is a BIG deal, a big deal that is belittled and undermined on a constant basis.

3 comments:

leah said...

Jamie my dear, this post is thoughtful, eloquent, and lovely! Thank you for sharing. I agree totally.
Those two sweethearts are so luck to have a mama like you!
xo

The Clark Family said...

Love that picture, and your post. Love your kids and the fact that as our families grow we continue to play and have adventures together. We love you guys! Can't wait for the next adventure! :)

Jzzzzz said...

Jamie you have a beautiful family!!!! Your thoughts and writing is inspiring. I am so glad that you are doing so well. I sure miss the good times we had as kids. I hope that we can reconnect and get to know each other again.